top of page
  • adsearchwixaccount

How to Tell if You Have Mold in Your House

Mold is a type of fungus that grows naturally in the environment, and it can easily grow inside your home. Mold spores are microscopic and float in the air, getting into your house with moisture from leaks or condensation. Even a tiny amount of moisture can support mold growth.

Toxic molds can cause health problems when you're exposed to them, so it's important to keep an eye out for mold and remove it quickly before it spreads.

Below we'll cover the signs and symptoms of mold, why you need to hire Alpine Abatement for mold removal, how you can protect your home from mold, and how quickly you should act if you think you have a problem.

Condemned building via Pxhere

A Musty Odor in Your Home

Mold has become an epidemic in the US. The number of cases has increased so much that it is now considered a major health risk. As the numbers of mold victims continue to rise, it is likely that your home, car or workplace will be exposed to mold at some point.

Since mold is almost always accompanied by a bad smell, you may smell something from time to time but not know what it is. Mold has a very distinct type of smell. It's usually very pungent and unpleasant.

If you notice a strong odor coming from certain areas of your house, then it's possible that you have mold growing somewhere in your home. You may also smell the mold before seeing it on walls or other surfaces, as this can be a very common issue in basements.

Respiratory Problems

Mold grows in damp places and can cause serious damage to your home. If left untreated, they can cause the structure to deteriorate, cause illness and allergies, and eventually lead to health problems.

This is why it is so important that mold removal occurs quickly once it has been discovered.

If you or someone else who lives in your home is experiencing breathing difficulties or asthma symptoms, then it's possible that there is mold growing somewhere in the house.

When people are exposed to mold, they may develop allergic reactions to it. This could manifest as an asthma attack or difficulty breathing.

If you notice these signs, don't try to fix the problem yourself as you may be risking your health and safety as well as the health and safety of those around you. It's better to let professionals handle it for you so that you can avoid unnecessary risks.

Crawling Skin Sensations or Rashes

Mold can cause skin irritations such as itching and rashes which may be hard to pinpoint if they're not immediately visible. If you feel like there's something crawling on your skin and there isn't anything there, then it could be caused by mold spores.

When water damage occurs, spores (the fungal seeds) are released into the air where they may begin to grow if they come into contact with a source of food such as wood or drywall.

If left untreated, the colony will continue to grow and release additional spores into your living space and even outdoors through open windows or doors.

The best way to avoid these serious health issues is to implement an effective mold prevention program when water damage occurs

Tiny Black Spots On the Ceiling or Walls

Tiny black spots on the ceiling or walls are probably molded because mold often starts out as black spots. If you see any type of discoloration on the ceiling or walls, take a closer look to see if it might be mold.

Mold grows best in warm, humid places with temperatures between 60 and 80 degrees. It grows less well in dry areas with temperatures below 60 degrees.

Sometimes people find mold growing inside their home's heating/air conditioning vents. This happens because water leaks into the vents and the moisture get trapped inside the air ducts


disinfectant in a protective suit via FreePik

How to Clean Mold

Wearing rubber gloves and a disposable breathing mask, remove all visible signs of mold growth from surfaces in your home.

Use warm water and mild detergent to clean the affected area and discard the cleaning materials outside of your home afterward so they don't become a breeding ground for mold spores.

Once you've cleaned up visible mold growth from your house, you may want to consider hiring Alpine Abatement.

Tackling mold on your own can be costly, time-consuming, and even dangerous. Mold spores can cause breathing problems which can lead to more serious conditions like asthma and lung disease. It's essential that you get rid of mold in your home quickly to ensure the health of your family.

Mold can be a serious problem in any home. Not only is it unsightly, but it can also be dangerous to your health. Alpine Abatement Associates can help you remove mold from your home safely and effectively. We use the latest technologies and techniques to get the job done right.

3 views0 comments
bottom of page